Thursday, May 13, 2010

Iteration

I've added threaded scene capture to my ray tracer so that I can make animations. Combine this with a map of the Mandelbrot set, and you can do things like this:


This animation also uses the reflection model of the ray tracer to complicate things a bit near the end, as you may have noticed.


One of the first animations I got out plays like a short film:


This result was accidental, I had meant to iterate by floating point values but was casting to integers at the wrong place; as it turns out, some interesting things happen around integral values.

If that's a short film, this might be a summary of that film:



note that I practically always display the set with a basis orientation contrary to convention--this is mainly because the blobs lend themselves more readily to anthropomorphizing than the alternate, and are thus naturally more aesthetic.


The following shows the set lights off and lights on:


In fact, the only difference between the two (IIRC) is that for the second I added an additional light to the ray tracer.

No comments: